Listen Live
HomeNewsAlgoma District School Board kicks off year with celebs

Algoma District School Board kicks off year with celebs

The first day of school is fast approaching and Algoma District School Board was excited to welcome students back with a special virtual event; IGNITE 2021.
Board communications director Fran Walsh says yesterday’s event featured performances and words of encouragement from celebrity VIP’s including television host Jessie Cruickshank, Olympian Andre De Grasse, musician Tyler Shaw, and sports titan Dr. Hayley Wickenheiser.
Walsh says for Grade 6-10 students, there were in-person special events at every secondary school in the district, immediately following the virtual event.
She adds there was a carnival-type format with outdoor and indoor stations where students picked and engaged in activities that interest them.
Walsh says it was a wonderful way for students to meet up with their schoolmates and teachers while providing a boost in welcoming the new school year just around the corner.
Jessi Cruickshank is a former co-host of MTV Canada. Most recently, she has enjoyed national fame as the co-host of CBC’s The Goods and as the host of Canada’s Smartest
Person. She has been to Algoma District in the past to host #yoothesoo.
Andre De Grasse is an Olympic Champion Sprinter and Six-Time Olympic Medalist. Andre has just returned from the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, where he made history winning gold
in the 200m event — the first time a Canadian man has won the 200m since 1928 and only the third Canadian to have ever won a gold medal in the event.
Canadian singer Tyler Shaw’s chart-topping singles include “Kiss Goodnight”, “To The Man Who Let Her Go” and “With You” whose official music video reached 30 million video views on
YouTube. Tyler has toured across Canada with Selena Gomez, Shawn Mendes, and Alessia Cara.
Dr. Hayley Wickenheiser is considered one of the best female hockey players in the world. Seven world championships, six Olympic appearances, five Olympic medals named one of
Sports Illustrated’s Top 25 Toughest Athletes in the World. She is a titan of sport and a leader both on and off the ice.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading