â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsThe COVID REPORT

The COVID REPORT

Upcoming vaccination clinics in Elliot Lake

There are several vaccination clinics this week in Elliot Lake with different vaccines being offered for first and second doses and will result in most of the local population being vaccinated.

Dr. Cathy Groh of the Elliot Lake Family Health team says a walk-in vaccination clinic is set for Wednesday night at the Collins Hall from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm.

She adds the drug store pharmacy at No Frills on Highway 108 is having a vaccination clinic today and Friday where the Moderna vaccine will be administered.

Shopper’s Drug Mart Ontario Avenue location also has vaccines available this week.

- Advertisement -

All three locations require people to call and make appointments.

For No Frills, contact the pharmacy for more information at 705-461-6299.

For the Collins Hall clinic, call 705-461-8882 to book your appointment. The clinic staff are also calling people who were vaccinated at Collins Hall and are now calling people who were vaccinated in May.

First doses are a priority but if there is enough vaccine second doses will be given.

Ana Lees, pharmacist/associate owner of the Ontario Avenue Shopper’s Drug Mart location, says appointments can be made by calling 705-848-7125.

People are encouraged not to wait for specific vaccines but to get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible. Individuals are eligible for a second dose 21 days after if they had Pfizer, 28 days after for Moderna, and eight to 12 weeks for AstraZeneca.

Public Health Sudbury & Districts introduces mobile vaccine clinic

All the stops are being pulled out as Public Health Sudbury & Districts and the City of Greater Sudbury launch the area’s first mobile vaccination clinic, which will travel the Sudbury and Manitoulin districts providing vaccinations against COVID 19.

Medical officer of health Dr. Penny Sutcliffe says starting today, the mobile clinic, a converted transit bus, will hit the road to operate throughout the summer.

She adds no appointments will be needed, and anyone aged 12 and over can get their first or second dose, while supplies last.

Dr. Sutcliffe points out bringing vaccination opportunities to more convenient locations will help lessen transportation challenges people may be facing

Over the course of the next two weeks, the bus will travel to communities in Greater Sudbury, Chapleau, and Manitoulin Island.

All COVID-19 safety precautions will be followed on board the mobile clinic, and trained staff will assist clients every step of the way. In addition, all the required pre-vaccination screening and post-vaccination monitoring will take place.

If interest is high, it is possible there will not be enough doses to offer vaccines to everyone who goes to the mobile clinic.

For COVID-19 vaccination opportunities in the Sudbury and Manitoulin districts and to find out where the mobile clinic will appear next, continue to check phsd.ca/COVID-19/vaccine-clinics.

Locations this week (July 12 to 18) include Sudbury, Copper Cliff, Azilda, Onaping, and Capreol. For dates, times, and locations, visit phsd.ca/health-topics-programs/vaccines-immunizations/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine/upcoming-vaccination-clinics-for-specific-priority-groups/

Important reminder:

All second dose appointments for Public Health clinics that were originally booked to occur on or after July 12 have been cancelled and need to be rebooked by clients, with limited exceptions. Anyone who has already rebooked their second dose appointment is not affected by these cancellations.

Preparing for a COVID-19 vaccination appointment

All vaccination clinics have COVID-safety measures in place. You must not attend a clinic if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 or if you are in isolation due to a COVID-19 exposure.

• Bring your health card. If you do not have a health card or your health card is expired, bring another form of government-issued photo identification such as a driver’s license, passport, Status card, or birth certificate.
  • Eat and drink something before you arrive at your appointment to prevent feeling faint or dizzy while being vaccinated.
  • Dress for the weather, you may have to wait in line if you plan on attending a walk-in clinic.
  • Wear a top that allows for easy access to the upper arm such as a loose-fitting top or a t-shirt.
  • Wear a mask that covers your nose, mouth, and chin.
  • If you have symptoms of COVID-19, do not attend the clinic.

For more information and to learn about other COVID-19 vaccination opportunities, please visit phsd.ca/COVID-19 or call Public Health Sudbury & Districts at 705.522.9200 (toll-free 1.866.522.9200).

Stage three this Friday

Ontario has announced it is fast-tracking Stage Three of its Roadmap to Reopening five days ahead of schedule to this Friday, July 16th.

Dr. Keiran Moore says thanks to the province’s immunization strategy the province has exceeded the goals needed to move into Step Three.
He said data will still be monitored but he didn’t see any reason to hold the province back.

He also warns we will likely see more cases in the fall because that is when respiratory illnesses spread quickly.

What Stage three means is indoor dining will be allowed with no capacity limits just distancing measures and masking, gyms, movie theatres, museums, and zoos can open at 50-percent capacity.
Personal care can now do services where masks can be removed, religious services including weddings and funerals can resume with physical distancing, and you can now entertain 25 people inside or up to 100 people outside.
But masks and physical distancing will still be mandatory in all public indoor spaces.

Summer Wellness Line for students

The Algoma District School Board Summer Wellness Line is available to parents and students aged 14 and older who are seeking counselling supports, mental health resources, and coping strategies.

In a release, Board communication director Fran Walsh says the line will connect callers to members of the board’s Mental Health, Counselling, and Attendance Services Team from now through to August 29th.

She says it is for parents and or students.

Walsh adds students who are 14 and older can also contact the staff directly.

The concept is to help students coping with COVID-19 related stress, as well as to help them deal with the trauma of the discovery of unmarked graves at residential schools and provide support for students preparing for going back to in-person learning in September.

Individuals are welcome to phone the Summer Wellness Line if they would like:
•    to book a virtual appointment for counselling support for students
•    to speak with a school-based mental health professional about strategies to support students
•    info about how to access community mental health resources or services for students
•    to learn about wellness and well-being, including positive coping strategies and skills
•    assistance with helping students cope with COVID-19-related distress
•    assistance for students who may be dealing with trauma from the discovery of unmarked graves and burial sites at residential schools
Making an appointment

Students, or parents of younger students, can book a virtual session or an in-person session if desired. The ADSB Summer Wellness Line contact information is as follows:
•    Phone: 705-945-7111 ext. 70548, or 1-888-393-3639
•    Email: [email protected]

Please note that the ADSB Summer Wellness Line is not a crisis line. If you are experiencing a crisis or emergency, immediately call 911, visit a local hospital emergency department, or contact one of the following 24/7 crisis services.

Emergency services:
•    Crisis Services/24 Hour Crisis Response 705-759-3398 or 1-800-721-0077
•    Emergency Services (Fire/Police/Ambulance) 9-1-1
•    Police (non-emergency) 705-949-6300
•    Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868 or text CONNECT to 686868
•    Mental Health Helpline 1-866-531-2600
•    Sexual Assault 1-800-205-7100
•    Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000
•    Warm Line (6-10 p.m. seven days/week) 1-866-856-9276
•    Health Care Connect 1-800-461-2919

Donating vaccines to other countries

The federal government will be donating almost 18-million doses of Astrazeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine to low- and middle-income countries.

Federal procurement minister Anita Anand says, with almost 55-million shots having now arrived in Canada, we can donate the excess supplies to other nations.

Ottawa is also partnering with UNICEF to raise money to fund more vaccines.

Each ten-dollar donation to the international children’s charity will be matched by the federal government, up to ten million dollars.

Anand says that would be enough to vaccinate an additional four million people.

Tourism supports

The Trudeau government is promising 500-million dollars in aid to Canada’s tourism operators.

They’ll be eligible for grants of up to 100-thousand dollars, or no-interest loans of up to half a million dollars.

Economic Development Minister Melanie Joly says they’re hoping to avoid a debt spiral that could force more tourism operators out of business.

Ottawa has no plans to reopen our borders to international tourists anytime soon.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading