Listen Live
HomeNewsNPD granted emergency debate on Laurentian University crisis – LU president speaks...

NPD granted emergency debate on Laurentian University crisis – LU president speaks out

The feds held an emergency debate on the Laurentian University crisis yesterday.

NDP MP Charlie Angus from Timmins-James Bay says the institution, which has given generations of youth access to quality education is being ripped apart with devastating impacts.

He called on the house to intervene asking for legislation to be put into place that would not allow educational institutions to use the insolvency process, rather than governments should be stepping in to assist when there are financial problems.

Angus adds both the Liberal government and Ontario’s Conservative government have failed the people of Northern Ontario by allowing Laurentian to plummet to such a sorry state.

- Advertisement -

Meanwhile, the university’s President and Vice-Chancellor Dr. Robert Haché stated at this time, the process of restructuring continues with major milestones completed, including job and program cuts.

According to the release, Laurentian continues to operate as the implementation of plans continues to position itself for long-term sustainability and a basis for recovery for its creditors and stakeholders pointing out they are still offering varied programming to students.

The details of the restructuring plan will be released publicly on April 30th as part of the insolvency process. “As we move forward, Laurentian will be focusing on its strengths,” he says.

In addition to continuing with 38 undergraduate French-language programs and 5 graduate French-language programs, Laurentian has a total (English and French) of 107 undergraduate programs and 33 graduate programs.

“Some key highlights of the continuing French language programs include nursing, psychology, physical education and health, business administration, biomedical biology, social work and many more.
Hache adds as a bilingual and tricultural institution, these offerings keep the institution amongst the most comprehensive institutions with respect to our balance of French and English language programs.
Nearly all 2,000 francophone students will continue to have a full suite of French language courses to choose from in their programs of choice, and Laurentian will also be positioned to meet future demands.

“While we understand that the termination of the Laurentian Federation has left some students with questions regarding their academic path, solutions are being worked on.
“For example, Laurentian University will provide approximately 140 students registered in the Indigenous Studies program at the University of Sudbury with access to courses rooted in Indigenous perspectives already on offer, mostly through Laurentian’s Faculty of Arts, in a range of disciplines.
“As part of our commitment to honour and affirm our tricultural mandate, Laurentian is committed to an Indigenous Perspectives program among its academic offerings in addition to its well-established Bachelor of Indigenous Social Work and Master of Indigenous Relations programs. This new program will be structured and developed for Senate approval, through active and ongoing engagement with the Laurentian University Native Education Council  and the Interim Associate Vice-President, Academic and Indigenous Programs.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading