Listen Live
HomeNewsCambrian College wins two national awards for innovation in education

Cambrian College wins two national awards for innovation in education

Cambrian College won not one, but two, innovation at this year’s annual conference of the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education, the CNIE.

Cambrian’s Teaching and Learning Innovation Hub won the Award of Excellence – Instructional Design category for its submission, Simulated Home Visits and the Award of Excellence in Technology – Higher Education for its interactive video, Engaging Students in a Trades Lab with QR Code.

The awards were presented May 21-24 in Vancouver.

A team of faculty and college staff produced the video, including lead faculty member Serge

- Advertisement -

Levesque, professors Laura Killam and Mel Young, and Hub videographer Jeff Tranchemontagne.

This project very much mirrors the concept of “just in time learning” according to

Serge Levesque.

“Students working in our labs work at their own pace. I needed a solution that would provide the students with easy access to specific information on an as needed basis. Scanning the QR code provides instant access to specific information when they require it. The results have been extremely positive and students are working more independently with less supervision and full Instructor support.

Cambrian also earned the Award of Excellence – Instructional Design category for its submission, Simulated Home Visits. Leading that project was Nursing professor Laura Killam, Sarah Wendorf, an Instructional Designer in Cambrian’s Hub, and Jeff Tranchemontagne.

“For students, this project removed barriers to success on their assignment by increasing access to families, promoting consistency of the experience, and improving the guidance they received,” says Laura Killam, who accepted both awards on behalf of Cambrian. “Receiving recognition for the creative problem solving demonstrated in this project is encouraging as it validates the work and time invested by the Hub team and Cambrian College.

“On behalf of Cambrian, I want congratulate our faculty members and the team in the Hub for these amazing achievements,” says Cambrian College President Bill Best. “These awards continue to showcase the talent of our first-rate staff and faculty, who are national leaders when it comes to innovation in teaching.”

The Canadian Network for Innovation in Education is a national organization of professionals committed to excellence in the provision of innovation in education in Canada. To learn more about CNIE or the awards, simply visit https://cnie-rcie.ca/.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading